The Teledyne Outdoor PowerMAX GaN Phase Combined High Power Outdoor Compact Package system maintains complete parallel redundancy down to the embedded control level. Therefore the loss of an entire amplifier will not interrupt remote communications with the system. Remote communications can be either RS-485 or Ethernet. The system will automatically correct its gain level in the event of one or more amplifier failures.
The Teledyne Outdoor PowerMAX GaN Phase Combined High Power Outdoor Compact Package sophisticated system monitor and control allows the system to be locally or remotely operated as if it were a “single” chassis amplifier. The system control maintains a hierarchical management that allows the operator to interface to a single chassis of the multi-module array.
Another feature unique to Teledyne Paradise Datacom’s Outdoor PowerMAX is the introduction of “true rms” output power measurement. Unlike other amplifier systems that utilize diode detection schemes, the Outdoor PowerMAX reports the true rms output power of the system
independent of the number of carriers and modulation schemes. Proprietary waveguide combining techniques are employed so that maximum power combining efficiency is optimized within the operating frequency band.
Teledyne PowerMAX SSPA Module Population Options:
The Outdoor PowerMAX system is available in a variety of system GaN module configurations and output power levels. The system is based on Teledyne Paradise Datacom’s High Power Outdoor SSPA. The units can be configured with a wide variety of SSPA frequency bands and power levels, and can be fitted with the following SSPA modules:
- S-Band: 600W, 800W, 1000W
- C-Band: 650W, 800W, 1000W
- X-Band: 650W, 800W
- Ku Band: 400W, 500W, 600W
Teledyne PowerMAX System Output Power and Configurations:
The Outdoor PowerMAX system is typically used as a “self-redundant” system. The output power is sized such that the loss of (1) RF module’s power will still allow the system to maintain its minimum required output power. This type of system architecture is described as n+1
redundant. The system can be configured with any number of modules, but best overall efficiency is obtained with the popular binary combinations of 4 or 8 modules.
It is very easy to upgrade the PowerMAX system from 4 modules to 8 modules in the field. It is not necessary to fully populate the system at the time of initial purchase. This provides the user a path to upgrade output power capability as system requirements grow, thus keeping
capital investment minimized. For sizing redundant output power capability use the following guideline to determine the output power of the system with the loss of (1) module.
- 4 Module System – 3 of 4 Modules Operable = 2.5 dB loss in output power capability
- 8 Module System – 7 of 8 Modules Operable = 1.2 dB loss in output power capability
- 16 Module System – 15 of 16 Modules Operable = 0.6 dB loss in output power capability
Teledyne PowerMAX Features:
- Gallium Nitride amplifiers, offering higher power density
- Each array of 4 HPAs features no active switching – all passive Power Combining
- Output Power sized for N+1 Redundancy
- System can be configured with any combination of 4 to 16 units
- System is 100% field maintainable
- CE mark / MIL-461 compliant
- Removable fan trays
- System Monitor and Control emulates single SSPA Chassis operation
- Legacy RS-485 M&C
- Ethernet Port with UDP, SNMP, and internal web browser capability
- Accurate Output Power measurement
- RF Output Sample Port
- Optional Waveguide Arc Protection Kit
- Optional L-Band Input with Redundancy
- Reflected Power Monitor
- RF Gain Adjustment (42 dB – 62 dB) Ku-Band systems (50 dB – 70 dB) all others
- System is field scalable: i.e., can start out with (4) modules in system and upgrade to (8) modules.
Teledyne Paradise Datacom develops innovative satellite modems, solid state power amplifiers (SSPA), low noise amplifiers (LNA), block up converters (BUC) and related subsystems for leading SATCOM organizations worldwide in the military and commercial markets. Teledyne Paradise Datacom is a part of Teledyne Microwave Solutions. Highly competitive pricing is achieved by enabling only the features you need at any time. Future-proofing is assured by convenient software upgrades via Ethernet or a memory stick and lots of processing headroom, protecting your investment.